It’s cool when software works.
So, I needed to test the latest TileCache in Windows. I’ve got a relatively clean Windows laptop I keep around for this. None of the niceties that I would typically want on a machine I used full time — no Firefox, no cygwin, no vim, etc. Just a straight up Windows install, with things like Google Earth installed.
So, starting from that, I started by downloading Apache from the Apache Download Page. I downloaded “Win32 Binary (MSI Installer): apache_2.2.4-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi“, and ran the installer directly. This got http://localhost/ serving a page that says “It works!”.
Next, I downloaded the Python 2.5 Windows installer , and again selected all the defaults.
Next, I downloaded TileCache 1.4, as a .zip file, since I know how well Windows supports .tar.gz files. I extracted the zip file into C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\cgi-bin.
Lastly, I edited C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\cgi-bin\tilecache-1.4\tilecache.cgi so that the first line of the file read “#!C:/Python25/python.exe -u”, and visited http://localhost/cgi-bin/tilecache-1.4/tilecache.cgi/1.0.0/basic/0/0/0.png …
And it worked! I got an image. I never expected setting up Apache, Python, and TileCache to just… well… work.