Archive for the 'Subversion' Category

OS X 10.4 Compile failures due to libtool

Posted in Redland RDF Application Framework, Subversion on January 11th, 2006 at 13:22:22

Many different projects (Redland, svn, and wxWindows included) have seen cases where users have attempted to compile, and seen the errors:

/usr/bin/libtool: for architecture: cputype (16777234) cpusubtype (0) file: -lSystem is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

or similar, posted to the mailing lists of these projects.

Only one place that I’ve been able to find so far (and not easily!) has the answer:

This is the typical error you get when you do an upgrade install of
Panther -> Tiger but you don’t install the Tiger Developer Tools
(Xcode 2.0). Don’t do that (Do upgrade your dev tools)

(From darwinports mailing list.)

Thank you ssen! Now, anyone else who has seen this will hopefully be able to read this post for now and into the future.

Ran into this attempting to compile gpsd.

Wedged Subversion Repository

Posted in Subversion on May 20th, 2005 at 22:11:57

Earlier this morning, one of my projects subversion repositories got wedged. After figuring out that it was actually wedged (no GET response, no PROPFIND/timeout requiring a kill -9 on svn and svnadmin commands), I started playing with svnadmin. Still didn’t work. Hopped into #svn. Asked, was pointed to FAQ.

Copied current repository to another location before attempting anything else, since I’ve fucked up a BDB based subversion repository attempting to repair it before.

Attempted svnadmin repair /var/www/svn/rdfpython: failed with lots and lots of “PANIC” type errors.

Attempted svnadmin repair ~/newcopyofrepos: That seemed to work. An svnadmin verify ~/newcopyofrepos confirmed that it had.

Made another backup of the repos, removed it, copied the new ~/newcopyofrepos into place.

And the world was good again. A verify/checkout process both verified that the files were all in place, and trac started to work again, and all was well, good and happy.

However, I think that from now on, I may use the fsfs storage method rather than BDB, as this is certainly not the first time this has happened to me or anyone else, and I really think I’m just starting to not trust BDB for mission critical tasks, which is what I consider subversion. My version control is one of the few things that I don’t have completely backed up most of the time: files I can copy around easily, but databases of changes to files typically stay in one place. I could recreate the structure, but I couldn’t really recreate the history, and that’s important to me.

If anyone has any experience with fsfs SVN repositories over BDB based ones, I’d be glad to hear it.

Recent Work

Posted in FOAF, Semantic Web, Subversion, default, julie on April 14th, 2005 at 21:34:36

I’ve been doing some work with FOAFNaut, SVG, and other related technologies lately. For the most part, the changes in and of themselves are too small to track in a weblog format, but I did build myself a little tool to store recent updates to crschmidt.net last night, so I could share them. crschmidt.net site updates has an HTML view, as well as an RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0 view, and is used to display information on the front page on what has changed recently.

Today, I spent a big chunk of my afternoon playing with julie alongside DanC. He asked if I planned on implementing SPARQL in the bot any time soon (which I do, as soon as a Redland release supporting the turtle format for SPARQL queries comes out). We also talked about GRDDL support, and some other related things. He offered some interesting files which I added to the database, teaching julie more about W3C proceedings and allowing for some more interesting queries in that respect. I need to start keeping track of my todolist for julie so that I can get organized in the freetime I have to do something about the state she’s in. I’m really starting to think another refactoring may be in order: although I received a pretty gigantic patch at one point, I still really haven’t “thrown one away” yet.

I also decided to install trac earlier today for some reason, something that was reinforced when I was asked to start a wiki foaf FOAFNaut internals as I was playing with it. You can check out the listing of projects I have here, which will grow as time continues, because I’m going to be moving more and more of my stuff into Subversion and more and more of what’s in Subversion to trac. It’s really nifty software, and I’m looking forward to playing with it. Who knows, it might shove a few more people into getting involved in my current projects. It’s got everything I need but have been too lazy to install in one place: wiki, bug tracking, source viewing, revision… quite nice, really.

Other than that, not much going on: Keep an eye on the site updates as I continue to do more little changes in and around crschmidt.net to my various projects.